Lloyd's of London, generally known simply as Lloyd's, is an insurance and reinsurance market located in London, United Kingdom. Unlike most of its competitors in the industry, it is not an insurance company; rather, Lloyd's is a corporate body governed by the Lloyd's Act 1871 and subsequent Acts of Parliament. It operates as a partially-mutualised marketplace within which multiple financial backers, grouped in syndicates, come together to pool and spread risk. These underwriters, or "members", are a collection of both corporations and private individuals, the latter being traditionally known as "Names".To visit Lloyds of London and other attractions in London, use our London itinerary app.
The business underwritten at Lloyd's is predominantly general insurance and reinsurance, although a small number of syndicates write term life assurance. The market has its roots in marine insurance and was founded by Edward Lloyd at his coffee house on Tower Street in c. 1686. Today, it has a dedicated building on Lime Street within which business is transacted at each syndicate's "box" in the underwriting "Room", with the insurance policy documentation being known traditionally as a "slip".
The market's motto is Fidentia, Latin for "confidence", and it is closely associated with the Latin phrase uberrima fides, or "utmost good faith", representing the relationship between underwriters and brokers.
Having survived multiple scandals and significant challenges through the second half of the 20th century, most notably the asbestosis affair, Lloyd's today promotes its strong financial "chain of security" available to promptly pay all valid claims. At the end of 2019 this chain consisted of £52.8 billion of syndicate-level assets, £27.6bn of members' "funds at Lloyd's" and over £4.4bn in a third mutual link which includes the Central Fund.
In 2019 there were 80 syndicates managed by 54 managing agencies that collectively wrote £35.9bn of gross premiums on risks placed by 335 brokers. Around 50 per cent of premiums emanated from North America, 30 per cent from Europe and 20 per cent from the rest of the world. Direct insurance represented 68 per cent of the premiums, mainly covering property and casualty (liability), while the remaining 32 per cent was reinsurance. The market collectively reported a pre-tax profit of £2.5bn for 2019, thanks to strong investment income returns.
Tours To Lloyds of London
Architectural History of London BOOK WITH VIATOR FROM $24
Duration: 2 hours 30 minutes
English + Business and Leadership University Taster One Week Program in London BOOK WITH VIATOR FROM $4,697
Duration: 8 days
City of London private walking tour BOOK WITH VIATOR FROM $16
Duration: 1 hour
Lloyds of London Reviews
Still one of the most funky buildings both inside and out. Very industrial fee throughout. The trading floor is huge. The old bell inside and museum also well worth a look. Recommended more »
As a lover of Cruising this is generally an important building as they generally insure the worlds ships. Its a modern Building but interesting in its design. more »
Fantastic and iconic building. Home of insurance. Trading floors are a superb experience. Some of the state rooms at the top are also really nice as is the library in the basement. Office space is understandably limited. Always a pleasure to visit.
This is an iconic building and great to visit. It is a private office so you can only view the outside. It is a good idea to visit on a weekend, as there will be fewer people in the City. Also the views at night are great as it is illuminated with different colours.
Plan your trip to London
Get a personalized planA complete day-by-day itinerary
based on your preferences
Customize itRefine your plan. We'll find the
best routes and schedules
Book itChoose from the best hotels
and activities. Up to 50% off
Manage itEverything in one place.
Everyone on the same page.
See all ›
See all ›
See all ›
Hidden gems in London
Side trips from London
Nearby attractions in London
Plans to Lloyds of London by other users
40 days in London BY A USER FROM SOUTH KOREA September, popular sights Preferences: September Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 48 days in London BY A USER FROM UNITED ARAB EMIRATES June, popular sights Preferences: June Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 50 days in London BY A USER FROM ISRAEL June, popular sights Preferences: June Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 60 days in London BY A USER FROM AUSTRALIA May, popular sights Preferences: May Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 27 days in London BY A USER FROM TURKEY May, popular sights Preferences: May Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium 28 days in London BY A USER FROM TURKEY May, popular sights Preferences: May Attraction style: Popular sights Pace: Medium